Sports dentistry is the precautions and treatment of dental injuries and associated oral diseases, as well as the sharing of information and accessories formed to help protect the teeth, mouth, jaw, and face of athletes. Injuries to the teeth and mouth are very common among athletes. It’s very important to protect your smile while playing sports for aesthetics as well as your health.
Our dentists at Narnoly dental clinic also take care of oral diseases that can happen due to injuries.
Common dental injuries in sports include:
- Knocked out tooth
- Chipped tooth
- Displaced teeth
One of the best, and most suitable, ways to prevent injury to your teeth and mouth while playing sports is to wear a mouthguard. There are some mouthguards to choose from, and our dentist in Ranchi can help you choose the perfect one for your specific needs.
In case you wear braces or not, protecting your mouth and smile while playing sports is very important. Sports-related injuries to the mouth and jaw are some of the most common injuries experienced by athletes. Mouthguards help to protect your teeth and mouth from injury. If you play in basketball, boxing, hockey, football, gymnastics, etc it is recommended by our orthodontist in Ranchi that you wear a mouthguard.
Types of mouthguards
Choosing the right mouthguard for your mouth is very essential. There are three basic types of mouthguards:
- Pre- fabricated mouth guard
- “Boil-and-bite” fitted mouthguard
- Custom-made mouthguard from our dentist
When you pick a mouthguard, be sure to select one that is tear-resistant, comfortable and well fitted for your mouth, simple to keep clean, and does not prevent you from breathing correctly.
Taking care of your mouthguard
- Smoothly scrub your mouthguard after each use with a toothbrush and toothpaste.
- Store your mouthguard in a protective case.
- Do not leave your mouthguard in the sunlight or hot water, it may fade.
- Change your mouthguard at the beginning of every new sports season. You should also change your mouthguard if you see it has become worn and no longer fits properly.
- Bring your mouthguard to every dental checkup. So, your dentist can check to make sure it’s still in good shape!
At Narnoly’s dental care in Ranchi, we provide the best dental treatment, using leading-edge technology. We aim to help minimize your chances of a sports-related injury to your smile.