Parents and kids in Ranchi are already gearing up for, summer camps and all the sports activities that this season brings. With this increase in outside activities, dental clinics in Ranchi, generally see an increase in the number of kids that visit with sports-related dental trauma.
Accidents happen–that is for sure–even with all of the right precautions in place. Wearing a mouth guard (easily fabricated at Narnoly’s Complete Dental Care, Ranchi) while playing football is essential but it won’t protect your child’s teeth from a flying helmet after the game is over and the players are messing around.
Sports injuries, mishaps at home, playground accidents and auto collisions are among the more common causes of dental trauma.
Some dental problems need to be treated as soon as possible, while others can wait a few days. Do you know which is which?
Here are some basic guidelines:
First and foremost is the health of the child, if a jaw or head injury is suspected, an emergency room visit is warranted.
If a permanent tooth is chipped or broken:
• If possible, gather all the pieces of the tooth
• Rinse the mouth with warm water
• Apply a cold compress to the injured area (reduces swelling and lessens pain)
• See your dentist immediately.
If a permanent tooth is knocked out there is the possibility that it can be re-implanted successfully if handled quickly and correctly:
• Handle the tooth only by the crown (white portion)
• Do not let the tooth dry out
• Do not worry about dirt or blood, and do not scrub the tooth as this can remove cells from the surface of the tooth.
• If possible, reinsert the tooth in the socket. Have your child bite down on a piece of gauze to hold the tooth in place until you reach the dentist
• If the tooth cannot be reinserted in the socket place it in milk. The chemical makeup of milk is compatible with teeth and will help keep the cells in the tooth alive.
Do not place the tooth in water as the chlorine in water may damage the tooth root.
• If milk is not available the next best option is to place the tooth inside the mouth between the cheek and lower gum.
• See a Pediatric dentist/ Pedodontist, within thirty minutes after the trauma occurs for the best chance of successfully re-implanting the tooth.
Injuries to baby teeth are handled differently than injuries to the permanent teeth found in older children:
• Baby teeth that are knocked out cannot be replaced and do not need to be placed back in the socket.
• If there is bleeding, apply a cold compress to the injury site and apply pressure. In small children the frenum (small fold of tissue inside the upper lip) tears easily and can bleed quite a bit. However, this area also heals very quickly.
• A popsicle can help reduce swelling and lessen pain.
• Contact your Pediatric dentist/ kid’s teeth specialist in Ranchi as soon as possible to discuss your child’s injury and treatment.
If you have a dental injury, be sure to get treatment when it’s needed. At Narnoly’s Complete Dental Care, Ranchi, the best dentists and a dental team has the ability to restore a damaged smile, which is one of the best things about modern dentistry.
And don’t hesitate to ask us any questions that you might have about the prevention and care of dental traumas, or any other issue related to optimal oral health care for your children.